Thursday, February 17, 2011

My (very) Belated Valentine's

So, this year, I decided to do something different with my Valentine's Day stuff.  This is, of course, because my husband is/was not here for Valentine's Day.  We will not get to celebrate it together until he returns at a later date.  This is also a reason why I've been so silent recently.  He left and well... I got a little off track with this stuff, but am trying very hard to start back as it really helps me through the day knowing that I get the chance to write at the end of it. 

That being said, I don't know if anyone noticed or not, but I kind of have a 'theme' of sorts for Valentine's every year.  Last year's theme (aside from the "yay, Drew's spending it with me" part) was how Valentine's has jaded so many people... if you'd care to read that particular post, you may do so.  This year's theme was quite different.  It was more about doing something nice for other people not married to me and spending time with them.  And I learned some 'new' things too -- or maybe it was just that I noticed them in more detail this time around.  One of the oddest things to see as a married woman is how other couples will act or react about Valentine's.  It's odd because we're adults now and we socialize with other adults, and it's no longer simple.  There are those who want a gift so badly, they'll do something like what I did in highschool.  Beg for the gift to be given in a specific way (go back to last year's Valentine's post for more understanding into that one).  I think the most comical part about these people, is the parading around of the gift if their special person gives in. 

It's like we don't trust each other anymore.  We don't trust the people who love us to do just that.  And we are selfish.  All we want is that one gift from them to supposedly prove their love to us for the year.  All we do is take take take.  When are we going to give give give give give give?  And no, it's not okay to justify our attitudes based on the fact that we're not getting what we want.  I'm ashamed to say that I have joined you all on some occasion.  Maybe it wasn't Valentine's Day itself.  Maybe it was just a normal non-holiday.  Perhaps I don't always get what I want because of how I keep acting about it.  But I digress.

So, what did I do for Valentine's this year?  Well, there was no husband to buy for (just yet, anyway).  So I went out with friends and made stupid videos of me eating a salad neither of them can understand. :D  Prior to Valentine's Day, Ashley streaked my hair with bleach and then added pink dye to the streaks.  It turned a brilliant orange, so now I have a mish-mash of colors in my hair, but I LOVE IT!!  After going out with Ashley and Avril on V-Day, I went home and watched Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse over the course of a few nights to my heart's content while babying my cats and snacking on chocolate I bought.  And my gift this year?  I bought myself a chocolate colored faux suede slip cover for our sofa :D.  While I was in Wal*Mart getting the slip cover and some groceries, a very nice lady said, "Get in front of me.  That is my Valentine's to you.  Happy Valentine's Day.  We continued conversing while we waited for the person ahead of us.  She was a real blessing to me.  Thank you to her for her Valentine's gift to me.  And that's that.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see that there are still good people in this world. People don't realize how little acts of kindness can really make a big difference in a person's life.

    I'm glad you had a good Valentine's Day:)

    ReplyDelete