Sunday, February 13, 2011

Musical Memoirs: Episode 11 - Crazy Love

For Stacy: Thank you for the dare, though I fear you may not appreciate my feelings on this.



"We're the ones who believe in the things unseen

This home, this body is an in-between
We're the ones who fight down on our knees
Who dare to love our enemies
Love enemies


They say it sounds insane
We say that we've been changed
By the power of
Crazy Love
This world, it looks at us
Like we're ridiculous
Baby, it's all because
Of Crazy Love

We're the ones gonna put it all in reverse
Gonna die to ourselves, Gonna live to serve
Cause when you get what you get when you walk by faith
Is it really so dumb to give it all away?
Give it all away

They say it sounds insane
We say that we've been changed
By the power of
Crazy Love
This world, it looks at us
Like we're ridiculous
Baby, it's all because
Of Crazy Love
Crazy Love


We know it sounds absurd
We don't get what we deserve
It's by grace we are saved


They say it sounds insane
We say that we've been changed
By the power of
Crazy Love
This world, it looks at us
Like we're ridiculous
Baby, it's all because
Of Crazy Love
Crazy Love


We're the ones who believe in the things unseen
This home, this party is an inbetween
We're the ones who fight down on our knees
Who dare to love our enemies


We're the ones gonna put it all in reverse
Gonna die to ourselves, Gonna live to serve
Give it all away


Crazy Love"

I would like to start off with my original reaction to this video and the song: "Seriously... ARE THEY ON CRACK?!?!?!"

Now that I've got that off my chest, I'd like to say that I am an extremely biased person where this particular song is concerned... for several very simple reasons:
  • I no longer consider myself a fan of Christian music, though I do still like some of the songs, and one or two of the artists.
  • This one says very little, and therefore, the message is somewhat lost to the idiocy of things related to it(such as the video).
  • There does not appear to be any story behind this song.
  • I had difficulty figuring out whether Hawk Nelson is making fun of Christianity (because of the lyrics and the video) or if they are all for it.  Viewing this music video, to me, was quite similar to viewing the movie Saved; the difference being that I actually like Saved.
Having listed the above, I will agree that this could be an identifying song.  But what is Hawk Nelson really saying here?  Let's review that much shall we?

To the Christian: These are encouraging words.  A reminder of who they are.  They get over-excited and can often lose track of their priorities because of it. 

To the In-Betweener: (the non-cookie-cutter-Christians) This song is something that they see right through.  The words are like pretty promises written on imaginary paper that never existed.  Yet Hawk Nelson made a good effort in writing the song and I'm sure many people think they did an amazing job on it... but we must keep in mind that just because something looks godly doesn't make it so.

To the non-Christian: It is difficult for me to imagine exactly what this song would feel like to someone who does not truly believe.  But in reading through the lyrics and listening to them, I honestly thought, "How horrid."  Because I think that if I were a non-Christian / non-Believer... I would probably feel like this song is saying that, "We're a clique you can't get in.  Who cares about you...I mean... we're a clique.  By the way, check out my pretty new Sunday bestest!  Storebought!  And it matches this week's fad!!"

So to sum up... It's not a bad song, and I think people should enjoy it despite the ravings of a burned truth seeker.  I just want everyone to see the world as it really is (whether or not I am right).  Because in the end, there are many out there who would have us believe the wrong things for all of the right reasons.  We just have to be careful what we choose to listen to etc. and sometimes the worst things to hear can come from the best of places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment